Published estimates indicate that anywhere between 12% to 15% of women experience PND. Longitudinal studies have found that depression in the post birth period can last for months or even years after giving birth.
Courses can be tailor-made from the following elements:
- Defining the key terms: depression and maternal depression
- Describing the main features of depression and maternal depression
- Distinguishing between baby blues; post-natal depression and other problems of mental ill-health that occur around the birth of a child
- Reviewing the impacts of maternal mental ill-health and post-natal depression on the mother, child, and family
- Discussing practical approaches to supporting women who are experiencing maternal depression, including appropriate referral routes